Sign in to follow this  
Tina

Welcome!

Where are you from?

My name is Thanh and I was born and raised in San Diego, California, but I recently re-located to Seal Beach/Orange County, California. I saw Kimbra perform for the first time on October 5, 2012 in San Diego. Kimbra blew my mind! I knew she was great live, but she was even better than what I had anticipated. I was completely floored and enamoured by her.

How did you discover Kimbra?

I discovered Kimbra two years ago on YouTube when I came across her live sessions at Sing Sing. I immediately fell in-love with her and was an instant fan. I remember anxiously waiting for Vows to come out.

What's your favorite Kimbra song?

Settle Down will always be an all-time favorite, but my current favorite is Withdraw thanks to the live session she did for Billboard Magazine. My next favorite would be her new song for Frankenweenie, With My Hands.

Share one of your hobbies

I don't think I have a particular hobby so I'll share things that I like! I enjoy attending art shows, trying new food, mid-century furniture/design, fashion, and 50's and 60's illustration art from children's books or advertisements.

Where are you from?

Hello, my name is Tim, I'm from Chicago, Illinois, and I love me some Kimbra!

How did you get into Kimbra?

Over the past year or so I have been really getting into Kimbra from a music group I was in. I was really excited when I bought the album in May, and after seeing her live yesterday, I'm a fan for life!

What is your favorite Kimbra song?

Posse! I love that song! It's all types of crazy/awesome, and every time I hear it I love it more.

Share one of your hobbies.

I am an amature stand-up comic. It is hard work, but very fun.

Donn    45

Hey everyone!

I'm from Indiana in the United States; I discovered Kimbra by accident but I'm glad I did. Favorite song? So difficult to choose, though right now I have "Withdraw" stuck in my head. I'm a freelance graphic designer, so that's mainly my hobby.

Scooby    12

oops, didn't know there was an intro thread

- where are you from

Oakland, CA

- how did you discover kimbra

from that song "Somebody that I used to know"

- what's your favorite Kimbra song

Call me and Posse

- share one of your hobbies

I play the guitar and the fiddle. I started playing the guitar after listening to Albert King and Mark Knopfler, they are my main influences and I started playing the fiddle because of Alison Krauss, she is also my favorite singer.

Genz    0

Hi everyone! Been meaning to join for awhile... My name is Jen and Im from NJ. Billy Magnum is my boyfriend, so if you read his introduction post it will tell ya that I discovered Kimbra through the gotye song. I loved it and still do. I think we all can agree he chose the right artist to sing with him and I'm grateful he did, cause im not sure if I'd know Kimbra otherwise :)

As for my favorite Kimbra song? Today, its Come into my Head. But honestly, it changes all the time. Her songs are all so good!! And hobbies, well, muscially.. I'm not talented like Bill, but I do love to sing and music has always been a big part of my life!!! Otherwise, I used to play paintball, but have been on a hiatus with school, and now that I'm done I just love to be with people I love and have always wanted to do alot of traveling!!

mrbond5150    4

Hey everyone! Hopefully we can get this place bumping soon!

I'm Nick

- where are you from

I'm from Long Island in NY, right now living in the city

- how did you discover kimbra

My girlfriend is a huge fan and then I went to town, buying the album and listening to it so many times.

- what's your favorite Kimbra song

It changes so often since they are all truly fantastic. After the two shows I saw, I've been listening to Withdraw and Posse a lot more.

- share one of your hobbies

Well I build and sell custom guitars across the world. If I was more prepared that I was going to be meeting kimbra, I would have made her a purple tambourine or a guitar! I don't care about the cost, I know that she'd get more use out of it than anyone I know. I'm also an artist, collector and huge fan of Kimbra obviously!

T.N.    1

Hey guys, I'm Thien. After being blown away by Kimbra in the District last night, I felt it was time to join the community.

Where are you from?

- I'm from Virginia, just 20 minutes from D.C. on a good day.

- Got "Cameo Lover" as an iTunes Free Single back in March. I've been hooked ever since.

- Yes.

Well, that's always a tough choice. It changes quite often but right now it's a toss-up between "CIMH," "Withdraw," or "Sally I Can See You."

Hobbies?

- I love playing tennis, catching up on missed TV shows and doing crosswords.

Have a great day everyone!

billymagnum    50

Hey guys, I'm Thien. After being blown away by Kimbra in the District last night, I felt it was time to join the community.

Where are you from?

- I'm from Virginia, just 20 minutes from D.C. on a good day.

- Got "Cameo Lover" as an iTunes Free Single back in March. I've been hooked ever since.

- Yes.

Well, that's always a tough choice. It changes quite often but right now it's a toss-up between "CIMH," "Withdraw," or "Sally I Can See You."

Hobbies?

- I love playing tennis, catching up on missed TV shows and doing crosswords.

Have a great day everyone!

Welcome aboard!

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone! And hey.... Billy seems familiar... and Welcome Thien!

Haha hey we need to collaborate!

smoothie73    0

Hello from Philly,Pa.

I discovered Kimbra purely by accident. I happened to see a still pic on an aol wall and followed the hotlink to the Cameo Lover video on youtube. What got me hooked was "WITHDRAW-Live Studio Session for Billboard NYC". That blew me away. Since then, I had to shop around for the Vows release that had that song on it. 'Deluxe Edition 2cd" as the US release does not have it nor Wandering Limbs.

Its not often enough that you find musical artist that have some depth to their character and artistry.WE MUST support Kimbra and her career for the sake of pushing more of the garbage pop off the airwaves and making it more like when I was younger(taping...YES TAPING music off the radio.) We share similar influences in music so Kimbra has my full support.

mrbond5150    4

Hello from Philly,Pa.

I discovered Kimbra purely by accident. I happened to see a still pic on an aol wall and followed the hotlink to the Cameo Lover video on youtube. What got me hooked was "WITHDRAW-Live Studio Session for Billboard NYC". That blew me away. Since then, I had to shop around for the Vows release that had that song on it. 'Deluxe Edition 2cd" as the US release does not have it nor Wandering Limbs.

Its not often enough that you find musical artist that have some depth to their character and artistry.WE MUST support Kimbra and her career for the sake of pushing more of the garbage pop off the airwaves and making it more like when I was younger(taping...YES TAPING music off the radio.) We share similar influences in music so Kimbra has my full support.

Indeed! Welcome!

soas    0

i am soas, i found kimbra via gotye and clicking around on suggested videos on youtube after i was done watching "somebody that i used to know." mostly i came here today because i was googling around a bit to try to find out what the sampler/loop playback box is that she's using in that more recent solo/a capella arrangement of "settle down." the thing that isn't an ipad. i've been writing songs just about forever, and doing arrangements and the like, so seeing something that stripped-down and having it be that amazing and fresh and interesting... well it's one of the few truly, simply, and very exciting things i've seen or heard done in music for awhile.

anyway, if anyone knows what that little robot is, please share with the class.

soas    0

thank you very much.

okay, that took a lot less time and effort on my part than i though it would, so, though i have no plans to get an iPad atm, what's she using on that in the settle down a capella arrangement? more importantly, is it also available on android? the galaxy note is looking like the tablet for me over the iPad for about every reason i want a tablet at all, minus whatever she's poking at in those performances.

billymagnum    50

in the acapella vids ive seen, that extra equipment actually IS an ipad. its used for easy accompaniment like keys and stuff. you can get free key/synth apps for android no problem just search the google play store. as far as tablets, if you really need to save money, look at kindle fires, they are the most affordable android based tablets there are but the prices dont mean they sacrifice quality or important features.

you can also get looper apps for free but they are usually quite limited in free versions. if you are serious about singing and using the same sort of tech she does, its gonna be an investment either way, believe me. my opinion is go for the actual hardware and avoid buying cheaper entry level stuff which only makes you eventually upgrade over and over to more advanced or better quality equipment. you'll end up spending more in the long run that way and you wont be any better off. if money is really an issue, there are ways to cushion the blow to your wallet.

if you are gonna buy that looper, there are a couple places i want to suggest purely because they do interest free monthly payments. no credit card sign ups or anything just equal payments depending on price. for me, a musician, these places are a godsend.

the box is $369.99 but at sites like AMS.com, it will be split into $123.33 a month for 3 months.

http://www.americanm...ICELIVETCH-LIST

zzounds.com is another great option. they do a similar payment thing.

i dont wanna completely derail this welcome thread so if you need any further help dont hesitate to PM me! :)

KirstinAlli    2

The app she uses in the Settle Down vids (on the iPad) is called SoundPrism. It has some cool sounds on it (Rhodes, Organ etc.) and is REALLY easy to use.

The VoiceLive Touch is an incredible machine (I have one!) - I recommend going into your local music store (generally the bigger stores like Guitar Center - or it's equivalent) and having a play on one. You'll soon be hooked!

• Like 1