Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Donn

Artists/Bands discovered through Kimbra?

15 posts in this topic

Have you discovered any bands and/or artists through Kimbra? So far I found Foster the People and Gotye and ended up liking them a lot.

I think a lot of people did the opposite and found Kimbra through Gotye, but to each his own!

I found Foster the People, and i like this music too.

This with Gotye is such a thing, i did not heard from him before i heard from Kimbra.

But you could not evade his music a long time. So Kimbra also not. What i find very good! ;)

How i said its a tricky thing. <_<

well the stepkids opened for her and i probably never would of heard of them if not for that. they have a super cool live show and they are really nice guys. its not really my kind of music per se but i dug it in person. i dont care for foster the ppl or gotye honestly but my GF is into them. i am however thankful that because of my GF listening to that song, i heard a voice ever so shortly, but it was able to grab me and i knew there was something more to it. i knew that girl was bigger than the song. i was so right. :D

There's a fair number of artists I now listen to because of her Spotify mixtape (which is not, in fact, updated weekly...)

such as fleet foxes (who I knew about but never listened to)

Janelle Monae (before she became as well known as she is now)

Sam Cooke

and I think there were others but I cant remember right now =S

just started listening to Regina Spektor after being gifted her Far album. I really like her a lot already and I'm going to have to get more albums. :)

just started listening to Regina Spektor after being gifted her Far album. I really like her a lot already and I'm going to have to get more albums. :)

Nice! I heard of her before but never actually had the chance to look her up.

Now that I have time I'm gonna :P

definitely do! i had given her a shot but in retrospect listening to 30 second clips on amazon is not a good way to judge an artist. i need to stop forgetting that....

I looked her up.. her music is so relaxing like for when your writing an essay or trying to study….

Adding her to my study playlist!! ;)

I looked her up.. her music is so relaxing like for when your writing an essay or trying to study….

Adding her to my study playlist!! ;)

cool! I started with Far (awesome) and just bought 11:11 (first album. very different from far. very minimalistic and a bit more blues than I'd like). I just got What We Saw From The Cheap Seats signed from that place I get all my signed stuff (really good but Far is still better. still new to it though ) and just now I bought Begin to Hope (havent listened to it yet, but I know one song already and it seems like it could be a contender for the best album).

this is def been a good year for me finding new artists :D

Awesome! Can't wait to hear those albums more in detail. Right now I'm listening to Begin To Hope which I'm hooked on it…especially keep repeating "Samson"… :) I randomly sing to it when I least expected it… lol

Yes! For me too! This year I discovered a whole bunch of new artists that I had never heard before and their completely amazing with their music…which includes Kimbra of course!….I do like mainstream music but to a certain limit… I just rather discover music on my own and by friends then through the radio that repeats it over and over which you grow tired of it and overplayed. :huh:

I discovered Gotye, Marvin Gaye, Miles Davis and Foster the people through Kimbra. :D Plus she got me into liking Music Genre's like Jazz.

1 person likes this

I discovered Gotye, Marvin Gaye, Miles Davis and Foster the people through Kimbra. :D Plus she got me into liking Music Genre's like Jazz.

:lol: Jazz can be so relaxing.

1 person likes this

Decided to check out Janelle Monae, Kimbra mentioned her in a Facebook post, so I thought I should give her a listen. Turns out that I'm really digging her sound, she's really good.