Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
billymagnum

Do you play an instrument???

40 posts in this topic

Do you play?

i play mainly guitar but have dabbled in drums, piano, you name it. i have been in bands but recently ive been on my own writing recording and producing whenever i can find time or not annoy neighbors. redface.gif

heres some of my guitars. its not the most recent family portrait as some have left and others have been added, but its the nicest photo i have atm:

395671393.jpg

if you play something id love to see some pics :D

1 person likes this

I play guitar and a bit of bass. I'm trying to teach myself piano and drums right now.

I used to play mainly electric guitar, but have now switched to a more rhythmic strumming on the acoustic guitar like Eleni Mandell and Nick Lowe.

My guitars are a sorry bunch but they get the job done ;). I'll try to snap a pic of them together.

e from my friends played or learned an instrument at this time, at this time it was a kind of peer pressure to play nothing. :(

Years later I was interested to play drums or e-guitar.

But there was no time.

And now it is hard to learn an instrument.

In Future maybe, if i have more time.

The thing with the neigbours is of course difficult.

@billymagnum: nice guitars!

In terms of properly learnt instruments, I only play viola and violin (I have one viola and two violins, one of which was made by my grandad), but to a pretty high standard [gr8]. I think if I was to pick up a band instrument, it'd probably be a bass guitar, they're sexy ;)

I sing occasionally in school choirs, but have never had lessons, which I deeply regret.

The thing with the neighbours is of course difficult

you don't know the half of it, my brother plays french horn...

"french horn" sounds for me like Oktoberfestmusic or something like this.

In hate this kind of music.

My brother plays no instrument, but he listen to very bad loud music every day, in his room and his car.

So i can understand that with your brother and the "french horn".

Ah, no, the french horn is a classical instrument, that looks like this. It is just a very loud instrument, what being a brass instrument. He plays mainly music from before 1900, unless it's film music.

hey guys

is there a spam button somewhere

I dunno if this guy is a troll or what (very likely)

but we want this post removed anyway

hey guys

is there a spam button somewhere

I dunno if this guy is a troll or what (very likely)

but we want this post removed anyway

no spam button <_<

PM Tina!

SPAMMERS BE DAMNED!!! :angry:

EDIT: spammers have been kicked :lol:

1 person likes this

Do you play?

i play mainly guitar but have dabbled in drums, piano, you name it. i have been in bands but recently ive been on my own writing recording and producing whenever i can find time or not annoy neighbors. redface.gif

heres some of my guitars. its not the most recent family portrait as some have left and others have been added, but its the nicest photo i have atm:

395671393.jpg

if you play something id love to see some pics :D

you need a strat in your collection ;) nice guitars, I only have 1 humbucker guitar, a SG Jr. I mostly play strats and teles, also the fiddle.

you need a strat in your collection ;) nice guitars, I only have 1 humbucker guitar, a SG Jr. I mostly play strats and teles, also the fiddle.

got one! 98 mim fender strat. was being repaired at the time...

was my first "real" guitar and ill never let it go...

13298_387403977788_1022417_n.jpg

looks more like this now, but still needs to be painted...

13298_387403302788_1000238_n.jpg

nice! i dig the blue fender :)

i should really update my photo. dont have any of my acoustics or my uke or the slue of random other instruments i have laying around :lol:

^ thanks, that's my #1. It's has D.Allen stratcat pickups :) I really like that semi hollow P90 strat that is used by Kimbra's guitarist, I haven't seen too many of those around.

^ thanks, that's my #1. It's has D.Allen stratcat pickups :) I really like that semi hollow P90 strat that is used by Kimbra's guitarist, I haven't seen too many of those around.

never got a super clear look at it who made that for him. could be a local luthier in his country idk

Unfortunately no, though I really want to learn the basics of guitar and piano. I attempting learning to read music and playing the piano, but wow it's like learning another language!

Unfortunately no, though I really want to learn the basics of guitar and piano. I attempting learning to read music and playing the piano, but wow it's like learning another language!

im very musically inclined. im usually able to pick things up and pretty much just play BUT i cannot for the life of my read music. i just cant do it. it is very much like another language. i had learned how to slightly years ago but it never sticks to my brain haha

im very musically inclined. im usually able to pick things up and pretty much just play BUT i cannot for the life of my read music. i just cant do it. it is very much like another language. i had learned how to slightly years ago but it never sticks to my brain haha

Oh really? I had always thought playing an instrument and reading music went hand in hand! When I was learning to play the piano a few years ago I was learning, or at least attempting to learn how to read music as well.

I guess this is a little comforting when I do try to learn the basics of guitar and piano (again) :lol:

Oh really? I had always thought playing an instrument and reading music went hand in hand! When I was learning to play the piano a few years ago I was learning, or at least attempting to learn how to read music as well.

I guess this is a little comforting when I do try to learn the basics of guitar and piano (again) :lol:

Learning how to read music and knowing theory is important especially in jazz but it's not absolutely necessary, a lot of people can improvise on key with new ideas constantly flowing.

Learning how to read music and knowing theory is important especially in jazz but it's not absolutely necessary, a lot of people can improvise on key with new ideas constantly flowing.

Ah yeah, that makes sense.

It seems like music is something someone needs to learn early in life, so I missed out there.

It's never too late. It just might seem much harder now because when you are younger you don't pay as much attention to how long it takes to learn. You just do it everyday becaus eyou can. When you get older you have more to think about and probably less time to dedicate to it. I'm able to learn almost anything by ear but I know that doesn't happen for everyone. It's just always been that way. It's important to learn theory and stuff but I think I like not knowing everything and taking risks and making mistakes. Theory always bothred me. You need theory for improv but if you know everything you can improv how is it still improvising? Idk I'd rather just play...

Hmm, I see what you mean. It has to be something you stick with and work hard with to come out with a clearer understanding of things.

I am a Vocal Tutor and I teach all ages from 7 year olds up to Grandmas and I find that the ones who learn the most (singing or music theory) are the older students because they want to be there and they want to learn. I always find that theory is very enjoyable to teach the young kids (you need a great approach to it but once you find it, it's brilliant) but the older students appreciate the exciting and fun way of learning even more, which amazed me. Stick with it!